Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sleeping on the couch


So anyone with this wonderful disorder, knows that there are days that the pain is severe and the flow is extremely heavy. When those days hit me, I am forced to sleep on our reclining couch. 
I am currently experiencing AF and for the last 2 days I have been confined to my couch and the bathroom. I attempted to go to bed my first night and I couldn't get comfortable. Laying on my back made my lower back hurt worse, laying on my stomach was not even an option, and lying on my side made my cramps worse. Couch here I come. Grabbed my heating pad, neck pillow, meds, glass of tea, and a towel. Slowly I made my way to the living room and placed the towel on the seat. As I am sure you all have experienced, the movement made the cramps unbearable. I reached over the arm of the couch and grabbed my short brown extension cord so that I could plug in my heating pad. My husband and I have learned that I am unable to bend over to plug in anything into a socket, so we set up a short extension cord that can be easily reached when I need it. After heating pad was turned on, it was time to get it situated to cover as much as my stomach as possible. The heating pad can't have to much pressure against my stomach, but has to have a little pressure to keep it against my skin for maximum effect. (We almost have to become experts to get some sort of relief.) I then sat there and cried until my meds kicked in and the heating pad started to work. So pain level went from a 10 to about an 8 1/2. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep. I took more meds around 4am and hubby woke me up making coffee at 5am. He apologized for waking me up (he knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep, but hadn't expected me to be on the couch). Of course I told him no biggie. I then started writhing in pain again. He asked when I took meds last and I told him an hour ago. I ended up taking some OTC CVS PMS meds (lots of caps there, lol). Hubby sat down and drank some coffee. I guess I was so worn out that I fell asleep crying. I woke up about 3 hrs later to a lot of pain, a clean kitchen, a working washer and dryer, and a husband asking me if I was ready for coffee. The only up side to this illness, for me, is I get to see just how much my husband understands this illness, and how much he loves me. 
Fast forward. I ended up bleeding extremely heavy, going through a pad every hour. The pain was excruciating and I knew it was another couch night. With such a heavy flow, I am unable to lay down. Pads are the only thing I can use, as tampons make the pain worse. The pads are not the most reliable form of protection when laying down and sleeping, especially when you are flowing like you're Niagara Falls and passing blood clots the size of golf balls and bigger.  Luckily I still had everything I needed around the couch, so I didn't have to prepare again. Another sleepless night of pain, discomfort, and walking very slowly to the bathroom. (I am contemplating putting a small room with a toilet in the corner of my living room, lol). 
It is aggravating to me that not only do we deal with pain, we have to deal with everything else too. If a man came in bleeding like they were Niagara Falls, they would figure out a way to FIX it. It just isn't natural! We should be able to crawl into our bed every night and sleep. We should have the ability to lay in our bed. I am tired of taking pain meds. I am scared that the pain is never going to end. I want to help my husband clean the kitchen, buy groceries, and do the laundry. I want to live life, not watch it happen around me. I am so afraid that a cure is not going to be found and more women are going to hurt needlessly and lose all the life that we have lost. The only thing I can do is pray that a cure will be found and pray that I stay strong enough to make it through every visit from AF. I can also spread as much knowledge as possible and spread awareness. 
We all get scared and have a hard time believing that there will come a day when we will get relief. That belief and hope is all we have. We have to hold onto the hope with all of our hearts and souls, in order to have the strength to continue fighting. I believe that the illness that we live with makes us stronger than almost anyone else. We experience some of the worst pain and lose so much of our lives because of this disorder and all of its complications. Yet we continue to smile, fight, and conquer our fears to make it through it all. We are strong, we will fight, and we will find a cure. We will continue to share our stories and show our support until we get more answers and a cure is found. 
  Endometriosis Support Ribbon Scarves. Wear your support around your neck. dkbcrochetworks.com  A portion of each sale is donated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment